Author Topic: I've run out of internet  (Read 8687 times)

Offline Tony

• Regular User
  • a moral acerbic contrarian
I've run out of internet
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
Seriously.

For the last few months I've noticed that there's less and less of interest out there so I end up on the same half dozen websites looking at versions of the same thing.

I'm bored of consuming the internet.
My text appears as the forum software formats it. Please direct any complaints to the Management.

innit

Offline splodge

• Regular User
  • The only good system is a sound system
Re: I've run out of internet
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
I totally agree. When the highlight is a 17 hour kirby mega-mix, things have surely come to an end :(
Ad astra tabernamque

Offline Oblomov

• Hand crafted, by a professional.
  • Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Vape Fiend
    • Jungle Lion - Sheffield's Ska Sensation
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
Seriously.

For the last few months I've noticed that there's less and less of interest out there so I end up on the same half dozen websites looking at versions of the same thing.

I'm bored of consuming the internet.

Yeah, it's definitely lost its sparkle.

More of a shopping outlet than the wild west now.

At least there's always Talk Sheffield  :|

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave the Internet. No, Sir, when a man is tired of the Internet, he is tired of life; for there is in the Internet all that life can afford."

Maybe we've all looked up and found out about everything we were ever interested in and now what? We're all just jaded by the easy availability of information.

But that Wild West element is still very much there, just look at Silk Road and the many other online marketplaces that have sprung up in its wake.

Offline splodge

• Regular User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:01:47 AM »
The wild west of the internet is still to come. The world wide web has certainly lost its now-ness, but the inter-connectedness that the actual internet allows is still there to be used to it's best ability. The bitcoin and p2p protocols and algorithms, along with something like the raspberry pi, to me, shine a particular path, but my maths isn't good enough to code up what I know is possible ;)
Ad astra tabernamque

Offline splodge

• Regular User
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:02:50 AM »
Sorry about the apostrophe.
Ad astra tabernamque

Offline Tony

• Regular User
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »
and then I found Konnie Huq Goes Pissing thanks to Charlie Brooker. Now I can't work out if there is life in it yet, or if it's jumped the shark, and then jumped back again.

My text appears as the forum software formats it. Please direct any complaints to the Management.

innit

Offline Oblomov

• Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Vape Fiend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
I love the fact that it's how they met.

Can't wait for them to explain that to their kids when they grow up.

Although with parents like that, they can't go wrong. A slebs go, you could wish for a worse mum and dad.

Offline Tony

• Regular User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
New internet game. Go to Camp Bastion on Google Maps and zoom in a click at a time.

https://maps.google.com/maps/u/0/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101773101841869726868.00048a0ddbc9906d010ed&dg=feature

innit

Offline Oblomov

• Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Vape Fiend
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
That's some seriously good camouflage.

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
Well if you've run out of Internet, go and see two Lancaster bombers fly over the Derwent Dam tomorrow - Sunday 20th September.

I'm still trying to work out the best place to see it. Or maybe the easiest place because I don't fancy a six mile hike over boggy moorland.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=29250E9D-5056-A318-A861958C0A76C57F

Offline Tony

• Regular User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
Already made plans to go and very excited at seeing both of them. :) I've not been to one of these Lancaster flypasts before but apparently the best place should be on the east side somewhere around here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4050212,-1.7273866,950m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you're driving I'd park at Strines or Moscar and walk over, it's reasonably dry up there at the moment, but it has been cloudy for the last few days so a map and compass would be wise if you go over the top rather than down the road and along Ladybower. Mind you if it's a low cloud base tomorrow I can't see it happening at all.

innit

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:17 PM »
This is my plan too. I'm going to park just past Strines at the junction to the track to Foulstone Cottage and walk over t'moors to the slopes of Pike Low overlooking the dam. It looks like 3.5 miles on the map so an hour, hour and a half?

And the weather forecast is good, sunny spells and good visibility, fingers crossed.

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
Just saw this on SF - the planes will fly past 30 minutes earlier than first planned:

Update....

The planned flypast over Derwent Dam will now take place 30 minutes earlier than originally planned. The two Lancasters will now pass overhead Derwent Dam at 1615 hours, weather and serviceability permitting.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=CA64D45E-5056-A318-A8E79ADC5F3310DE

Offline Oblomov

• Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Vape Fiend
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 11:53:21 PM »
Already made plans to go and very excited at seeing both of them. :) I've not been to one of these Lancaster flypasts before but apparently the best place should be on the east side somewhere around here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4050212,-1.7273866,950m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you're driving I'd park at Strines or Moscar and walk over, it's reasonably dry up there at the moment, but it has been cloudy for the last few days so a map and compass would be wise if you go over the top rather than down the road and along Ladybower. Mind you if it's a low cloud base tomorrow I can't see it happening at all.

Yeah the map is handy. It was pretty obvious for the most part, just follow the people. Getting home, we ended up missing the fork and going back via Lost Lad.