Author Topic: Today I am puzzled/bemused by . . .  (Read 59606 times)

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
  • You know my Suffragette City
Today I am puzzled/bemused by . . .
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
Conversation with a colleague, with whom I have a lot in common and consider to be highly intelligent, well educated (to Masters level) sane and with sound views.  She's a lesbian, feminist, atheist, left wing and NOT a cultural/moral relativist then shatters all my respect in one fell swoop by asking what star sign my husband is and starts comparing hers and his characteristics as they are both Capricorns. :rolleyes:  How can one reject religion and the notion of a deity yet espouse this total bollocks?  They're pretty much on a par with one another in my view. :rolleyes:
Flouting the Forum Disco Rules, I love Google

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
Re: Today I am puzzled/bemused by . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
People who believe in astrology were born under the wrong star sign.

Offline splodge

• Regular User
  • The only good system is a sound system
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
A new venture aiming to mine asteroids...

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/mimssbits/27776/?ref=rss
Ad astra tabernamque

Offline nick3

• Regular User
  • Strange but not a stranger
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
I've never "understood" astrology, it's just a bit of fun thesedays isn't it ?

Offline mojoworking

• Regular User
  • Looking through the bent back tulips
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »
I always feel a little betrayed and angry when I discover someone I thought was a rational, level headed person turns out to be a Christian.

It's almost if they had said they were members of the Flat Earth Society or some other fringe lunatic group.
He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »
I always feel a little betrayed and angry when I discover someone I thought was a rational, level headed person turns out to be a Christian.

It's almost if they had said they were members of the Flat Earth Society or some other fringe lunatic group.
I agree.  I always feel duped and a sense of acute disappointment. :(

Offline nick3

• Regular User
  • Strange but not a stranger
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
I think I would be less upset (infact not bothered at all) if someone said they worshipped trees and rocks though, at lest they actually exist, and tend not to tell you how to live your life (though if they were talking I'd be concerned)

Offline Jen

• Regular User
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »
People who believe in astrology were born under the wrong star sign.

That's such a Virgo* thing to say.

*One in twelve chance of being right.

Offline Oblomov

• Hand crafted, by a professional.
  • Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Vape Fiend
    • Jungle Lion - Sheffield's Ska Sensation
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
You don't have to be stupid to be irrational.

It helps, but irrationality is the default setting for all of us. Some very intelligent people believe some truly ridiculous codswallop.

Offline discodown

• Regular User
  • trying to be funny and interesting. failing
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

I agree.  I always feel duped and a sense of acute disappointment. :(
I think I would be less upset (infact not bothered at all) if someone said they worshipped trees and rocks though, at lest they actually exist, and tend not to tell you how to live your life (though if they were talking I'd be concerned)
:( :huh: :confused:Christ lets have a bit of perspective. You talk about it like they're child molesters or murderers
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”

Voltaire

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
You don't have to be stupid to be irrational.

It helps, but irrationality is the default setting for all of us. Some very intelligent people believe some truly ridiculous codswallop.
I hold my hands up to irrational fears rather than beliefs. Some would argue that they're one and the same.

Offline mojoworking

• Regular User
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
:( :huh: :confused:Christ lets have a bit of perspective. You talk about it like they're child molesters or murderers

So you know some Catholic priests, then?   :hihi:

As Dawkins says, religion is a kind of mass delusion and a form of madness. Are you happy dealing with people who listen to  voices and are basically delusional?

Offline discodown

• Regular User
  • trying to be funny and interesting. failing
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
So you know some Catholic priests, then?   :hihi:

As Dawkins says, religion is a kind of mass delusion and a form of madness. Are you happy dealing with people who listen to  voices and are basically delusional?
No but neither am I happy with people who are religiously peddling their atheism. Kind of misses the point a bit doesn't it?

I'm an atheist and when I was younger I was pretty militant about it but as I get older I feel secure enough in what I believe, so secure that i'm not so insecure that I don't need to desperately need to try to convert everyone to my way of thinking.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”

Voltaire

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
No but neither am I happy with people who are religiously peddling their atheism. Kind of misses the point a bit doesn't it?

I'm an atheist and when I was younger I was pretty militant about it but as I get older I feel secure enough in what I believe, so secure that i'm not so insecure that I don't need to desperately need to try to convert everyone to my way of thinking.
Peddling atheism? Trying to convert? How do you arrive at that conclusion? I've been accused of being a militant atheist on SF, it seems the default position applied to anyone who rejects theism these days. I don't seek to convert anyone but will debate with theists given the opportunity.

Offline mojoworking

• Regular User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »

I don't see anyone peddling atheism. Just saying that it's a shock/disappointment when someone who you thought was "normal" admits to being a Christian. In the same way we might be shocked if a workmate admitted to being a devil worshipper, for example.