Author Topic: Dead  (Read 130217 times)

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
  • You know my Suffragette City
Re: Dead
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 06:34:19 AM »
Rollovers? What's that about, is it predicting which sleb you think is due to die?
Yep.  'Rollovers' were those who were hanging in at all costs and were on by default, such as Pope Jean Paul II (there were a few others but can't remember them all now!)
Flouting the Forum Disco Rules, I love Google

Offline Tony

• Regular User
  • a moral acerbic contrarian
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
85 in his sleep.

A cremation ceremony will be held next week. Some like it hot.

My text appears as the forum software formats it. Please direct any complaints to the Management.

innit

Offline Mr Squirrel

• Regular User
  • Illiterate Scumbag
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »
Sir Norman Wisdom (95)

Ruining the Karma with expert proficiency.

Offline splodge

• Regular User
  • The only good system is a sound system
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
Sir Norman Wisdom (95)

:( RIP! Who's gonna annoy Mr Grimsdale now?
Ad astra tabernamque

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
Oddly Norman Wisdom was hugely popular in Albania, even when it was a closed country isolated from the rest of Europe.

Wisdom was a cult icon in Albania, where he was the only Western actor whose films were allowed in the country during the dictatorship of Enver Hoxha. He was known as "Mr Pitkin" after the Gump character from his films. In 1995, he visited the post-Stalinist country, where to his surprise he was greeted by many appreciative fans including the then president of Albania, Sali Berisha. On a visit in 2001, which coincided with the England football team playing Albania in the city of Tirana (of which Norman was granted the freedom in 1995),  his presence at the training ground eclipsed even that of David Beckham. He appeared on the pitch before the start of the Albania v England match wearing a half Albanian and half English football shirt. He was well received by the crowd especially when he performed one of his trade mark trips on his way out to the centre circle.

Offline splodge

• Regular User
  • The only good system is a sound system
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »
Oddly Norman Wisdom was hugely popular in Albania, even when it was a closed country isolated from the rest of Europe.

Wisdom was a cult icon in Albania, where he was the only Western actor whose films were allowed in the country during the dictatorship of Enver Hoxha. He was known as "Mr Pitkin" after the Gump character from his films. In 1995, he visited the post-Stalinist country, where to his surprise he was greeted by many appreciative fans including the then president of Albania, Sali Berisha. On a visit in 2001, which coincided with the England football team playing Albania in the city of Tirana (of which Norman was granted the freedom in 1995),  his presence at the training ground eclipsed even that of David Beckham. He appeared on the pitch before the start of the Albania v England match wearing a half Albanian and half English football shirt. He was well received by the crowd especially when he performed one of his trade mark trips on his way out to the centre circle.
You can just picture him, walking out, looking all bewildered, and tripping at exactly the right moment! :thumbsup: One of the kings of slapstick.
Ad astra tabernamque

Offline Tony

• Regular User
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »
For once I'm rather sad at a star's passing. Saturday afternoons with Norman Wisdom films were a formative part of my childhood.  The last of the great clowns has gone.
My text appears as the forum software formats it. Please direct any complaints to the Management.

innit

Offline discodown

• Regular User
  • trying to be funny and interesting. failing
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
Its odd the amount of facebook status' mourning the loss of Wisdom. People who have never mentioned him ever now seem positively mediterrean in their grief for him. I hate this hypocrisy when someone dies that all of a sudden they were great.

I also think we should start a forum deadpool!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”

Voltaire

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »
Its odd the amount of facebook status' mourning the loss of Wisdom. People who have never mentioned him ever now seem positively mediterrean in their grief for him. I hate this hypocrisy when someone dies that all of a sudden they were great.

I also think we should start a forum deadpool!
I agree with you on that one!  Someone on SF stated how he was lovely harmless bloke, which I corrected, given that he was some rellie by marraige to my husband and was a real brute to his wife - I got some grief and the posts were pulled!

In terms of childhood nostalgia, yep, I found him funny in that slapstick way that kids do, but not as an adult.

I'd be up for a forum deadpool!

Offline Oblomov

• Hand crafted, by a professional.
  • Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Vape Fiend
    • Jungle Lion - Sheffield's Ska Sensation
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:58 PM »
Should we prepare a list of octogenarian slebs, or just pick our own from the 'pantheon' available?

I'll go off and find out...

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
Should we prepare a list of octogenarian slebs, or just pick our own from the 'pantheon' available?

I'll go off and find out...
When I took part in a 'Dead pool' each player submitted 20 slebs, of any age*, who were considered to have risk lifstyles or were on their way out.  People who were on death row were excluded (one year someone tried to sneak in Saddam).  The points were calculated by deducting the age of the deceased from 100. 

*Not strictly true, it was considered even by the players of such a macabre game, that anyone under the age of 16 was the height of bad taste.

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »
The game rules should give higher points to anyone who guesses the death of someone perceived as unlikely to die. Anyone can guess that Mickey Rooney and Lauren Bacall aren't going to last too long, but predicting something like Princess Diana's death has to be worth extra points.

Offline Tony

• Regular User
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
Oi, stop spoiling my ever-so-reverend obituary thread.

I'm having Michael Douglas in the deadpool and I want extra points when Zeta Jones remarries between 1 and 2 years after he keels over.

innit

Offline Suffragette

• Regular User
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »

I'm having Michael Douglas in the deadpool and I want extra points when Zeta Jones remarries between 1 and 2 years after he keels over.
I'm having Douglas on my list too.  Perhaps we should have a Divorce List too!

Offline Alastair

• Regular User
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »

Since he has terminal cancer you get null points for that.